- A Harvest of Thorns
- The Tears of Dark Water
- The Garden of Burning Sand
- A Walk Across The Sun
In researching The Tears of Dark Water, I came across a tremendous number of excellent resources about Somalia and human rights. Here are a few exemplars:
KEEPING HOPE ALIVE by Dr. Hawa Abdi
– The moving story of the Nobel Peace Prize nominee who, with her family’s help, has sheltered and cared for thousands of Somalis on her own land near Mogadishu for more than 20 years.
THE PIRATES OF SOMALIA by Jay Bahadur
– A fascinating and profoundly personal exploration of the lives, motivations, and aspirations of Somalia’s pirates.
GETTING SOMALIA WRONG by Mary Harper
– A brief, yet rich survey of the causes, complications, and consequences of Somalia’s civil war.
THE GIRL WITH THREE LEGS by Soraya Mire
– A searingly intimate portrait of female genital mutilation by a Somali human rights activist and FGM survivor.